1. Guest, you can still vote when not on the server. Top voters get $15 off the shop!! Click To Vote!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Help us out and give us A Like
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Keep up to date with news, outages and downtime on our Official Twitter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Security advice: Don't use the same password on these forums as you do for your MC account. Change it if they are the same - this keeps your MC account secure
Dismiss Notice

Kitpvp 1.8 support

Discussion in 'Kitpvp' started by Implies, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Should kitpvp allow 1.8 clients?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Implies

Implies Active PlanetMiner

• Contributor
    I think it'd be nice to have 1.8 support back on kitpvp. A lot of people prefer playing on 1.8 whether if it's for pvp mod support or the combat system. The original reason for removing 1.8 support was because that was the dominant version hacked clients were built upon, as I've been told by Aws, but I don't think that's relevant anymore as almost all of these hacked clients have now been available for 1.9+ considering how long ago 1.9 was released. If there was a sudden influx of cheaters with the addition of 1.8 support, that'd be more so due to an increased player count and not percentage of hackers themselves. I do think forbidding 1.8 is negatively impacting the player count as I have seen players simply refusing to use 1.9+ because they either hate it, use 1.8 only pvp clients such as OCMC, or have 1.8 mod profiles which modders don't care enough about to update to versions most pvp servers don't use.
    If cheaters are such a big problem I think a more appropriate solution would be to introduce more active staff to kitpvp or introduce a better anticheat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Clever! Clever! x 1
  2. NotNald

NotNald New PlanetMiner

Implies has a really good point, cheaters are always gonna find a way around the next update. Pointless to reject certain versions. +1

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sweaty Betty! Sweaty Betty! x 1
  3. Deadakus

Deadakus PlanetMiner

Minecraft account: Deadakus
    I feel that there should be 2 lobby's. One where 1.8 plugins are in place, and 1 where they are not. I believe that pre 1.9 is boring. Many others disagree.

4. Implies

• Contributor
    The lobby already supports 1.8, as do all servers other than kitpvp. Having two lobbies would cause a player split and damage the server's player count even more. Kitpvp players aren't usually the ones to find pre 1.9 boring because there aren't any elements of the version that actually change anything in pvp other than the combat mechanics. Players aren't going to abandon kitpvp just because there are no pretty shulker boxes. Also doesn't mean much to 1.9+ players as they can still join and play.

5. Deadakus

Deadakus PlanetMiner

I wrote that wrong. What I meant was there should be 2 kitpvp's One with a plugin to allow 1.8 combat, and one to allow 1.9. They would just have to have a sword for 1.8 and a shield for the 1.9 one (Or something like that) I'm not saying the entire server should be split in two.

6. Implies

• Contributor
    Splitting kitpvp alone would be a really bad problem too because it costs money to host a seperate server with the 1.9 combat system that nobody would play on. I think you're mistaken on how the current pvp system works. Pvp in kitpvp is not the vanilla 1.9 combat system with things such as hit cooldowns (there are shields you can buy but I don't think I've ever seen anyone use them). Pvp is made to be as close to 1.8 pvp as possible by removing the cooldowns. This was intentional, as again, no competitive pvper actually enjoys the 1.9 combat system because it removes elements of skill. The reason players want 1.8 to be supported is for reasons I have stated previously such as block hitting and mods/clients.

7. Deadakus

Deadakus PlanetMiner

Fair point. Although i am confused as how timing your attacks does not require skill, while spamming your sword does.

8. Implies

• Contributor
    Timing your hits is more of an excuse to not be able to click fast because you're never going to be hitting them at the exact time that the cooldown ends as you will probably be hit and knocked out of range by your opponent due to things like w tapping being irrelevant. "Spamming" can be considered a skill as players who put in the time and effort to learn jittering, stimpy clicking, butterfly clicking etc. benefit by advantages such as earlier hits and reduced knockback which can improve combos, an entire other element of skill that you don't get in the same way in the 1.9 system.

9. Deadakus

Deadakus PlanetMiner

Fair point, however, I believe that neither got it right, although 1.9 was closer. Cooldown (in my opinion) does have a place. Although maybe it would get worse as the battle wears on. This way it becomes important to finish the fight quickly, and being bad and missing hits is punished with a cooldown effect. This would allow you to utilize the things you stated, while still keeping combat more diverse and giving players an incentive to not swing their swords around randomly. it could even be tied to your health, so the better condition you are in, the better you are able to swing your sword (or axe).

10. Implies

• Contributor
    Saying it could be tied to your health is kind of like that one kid who got backlash from suggesting that the hypixel network should cap CPS at 6 only because he was too bad to achieve it himself. [​IMG]
    A strict minority benefits from a majority's massive loss, and yes I am saying 1.9 pvp is basically a dumbed-down system for players who don't know what they're doing. As for your points, they can all be applied to the original pvp system. If you're bad and miss hits, you get hit yourself and lose hp. Things I have stated before can't be used, because they have nothing to add to your effectiveness when fighting people.

imdonefornowbecausethiswasoriginallyintendedtobeapollfordecidingwhetherornotkitpvpshouldsupportaversionthatwouldn'treallychangeanythingforthenegativeandnota1.8vstheversionthatkilledthecompetitivepvpcommunityarguementxd